WASURF63's New ATFlippac

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Walt is there a reason you decided to place your awning on the passenger side? I have noticed a few people have them on that side. I don't have backup power and sometimes start the engine. The exhaust is on the passenger side so having the awning on that side seems to be misplaced but there must be some reason for it.

This may be what I will have but with windoors on both sides:
attachment.php

p.s.
Some of those awnings are pricey! What purpose does the small metal pieces bolted to the sides of the truck near the rocker panel serve?

Last edited:

Rexsname

Explorer
The legs of the Fiamma awning can fit in those brackets OR the legs can go to the ground.

As far as the price goes....they are actually quite reasonable.

REX

Bikeman71

Observer
Walt is there a reason you decided to place your awning on the passenger side? I have noticed a few people have them on that side. I don't have backup power and sometimes start the engine. The exhaust is on the passenger side so having the awning on that side seems to be misplaced but there must be some reason for it.

attachment.php

p.s.
Some of those awnings are pricey! What purpose does the small metal pieces bolted to the sides of the truck near the rocker panel serve?

As far as placing the awning on the passenger side....when I ran this by martyn for my flip PAC (only 2 more weeks) he suggested the passenger side for those times that you pull off to the side of the road for that impromptu picnic or camp site.....you can then pull your awning away from the road.....

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Well that makes perfect sense!

Since you are only two weeks out (lucky!) maybe you can answer another question I have before I call tomorrow. Does it come with the inside done in carpet or is that another option? Any idea whos mag gray taco is pictured above?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I'm thinkin a bedrug might help keep out dust too! Anyone with experience please share if they keep out dust. I have the rubber tacoma mat which is great for keeping stuff from sliding but a bedrug would make it that much more enjoyable.

Bikeman71

Observer
Well that makes perfect sense!

Since you are only two weeks out (lucky!) maybe you can answer another question I have before I call tomorrow. Does it come with the inside done in carpet or is that another option? Any idea whos mag gray taco is pictured above?

It does have a gray carpet that is used as a liner. I don't have a bed rug, but I've been thinking about it too.

WASURF63

Adventurer

attachment.php

p.s.

I put my awning on the passenger side for use in conjunction with the windoor. I will be putting my camp kitchen on that side of the truck.
This will allow us to access the kitchen from the outside so we don't have to climb inside the rear hatch everytime we need something.
It will also provide a sheltered area for cooking/preparing meals, and showering,etc. My gravity fed water tank spigot and shower hose will also be accessed from that side.
Passenger side awning location is also great for quick roadside picnic stops and safe access to the fridge/freezer away from traffic.

As far as awning prices go "you get what you pay for" in the case of the Fiamma. It's very quick and easy to set up, and pretty stout for its lightweght design. The only other awning I can think of that's super stout, and easy to deploy as well, is the Hannibal. I had one of these rear mounted on my last two rigs, but they really do better in conjunction with a solid rack.They're more spendy too. Camping Lab and ARB awnings also look pretty nice and are far more affordable IIRC. I think the Fiamma is a more streamlined match overall for the AT Flippac.
If you're thinking about two windoors why not install two Fiamma awnings as well, and increase your outdoor shelter space? I think Mario @ AT has a dual awning set up on his rig.

WASURF63

Adventurer
I'm thinkin a bedrug might help keep out dust too! Anyone with experience please share if they keep out dust. I have the rubber tacoma mat which is great for keeping stuff from sliding but a bedrug would make it that much more enjoyable.

A full Bedrug will keep out most of the dust including the bottom of the tailgate, but you will still have to seal up both sides of the tailgate and should seal the side bed compartments from moisture as well

The bedrug is really easy on the knees when crawling into the back of the truck, and should be equally as comfortable on the feet when standing inside the ATFP. I had a bedrug in my last Tacoma and in my 1st gen Tundra.
I don't think I will be going that route this time as I will be building out the inside with seated storage compartments (much like TacoDoc's rig) leaving a center walkway. I can't justify the bedrug expense for just a carpet strip down the middle.

As you've probably found out by now the ATFP comes standard with a carpeted headliner (and dual inside lights). I do suppose a bedrug would also add some good overall insulation to the truck bed in conjunction with the headliner.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
WOW!
I got my reply from Martyn at Adventure Trailers and all I'm gonna say is that the costs add up pretty fast for all the goodies.

WASURF63

Adventurer
WOW!
I got my reply from Martyn at Adventure Trailers and all I'm gonna say is that the costs add up pretty fast for all the goodies.

Yah, but it's "one stop shopping" at it's finest!
Doesn't your addiction deserve the best?
Plus the drive out to Prescott when you pick up your ATFP is beautiful!

SilverSurfer

I really have to say your rig looks awesome with it so far. Quick question though, I'm thinking about purchasing a flippac, but was just wondering if its possible to mount surf racks on the flippac, since I do have quite a few boards and take several trips down to baja and mainland every year.
Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1