WreckDiver1321's 2003 Frontier CC SC

skibum315

Explorer
I think I may have said it before, but it bears repeating since you're concerned with mileage: my anecdotal observations over the last 5-6 years on The New X show that MTs (manual trans, not mud tires ... :rolleyes:) do about 1-2 mpg better on average than ATs, for similar outfitting.

I know you said previously you may not have much interest in the MT, but I think it'd be worth thinking a lot about if you're *that* interested in maximizing mileage.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I run 285/75/16s on my second gen and average between 17-19 on the highway. Makes my wife irritated that her first gen seems much thirstier.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm with you on the tire size. As much as I like the gas mileage and height of the 235s, next time I'm going with 255 or 265, they just fill the fender wells more proportionally. The 235s look good on the 1st gen xterras though.

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
I don't know if you'd be doing that well on mileage... Im auto, 265s, 2.5" of lift, roof rack, yada yada. I daily drive mine pretty much 50/50 city/highway doing about 70 on the highway and I get between 13.5-14.4 consistently, getting about 270-290 miles per tank.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I think I may have said it before, but it bears repeating since you're concerned with mileage: my anecdotal observations over the last 5-6 years on The New X show that MTs (manual trans, not mud tires ... :rolleyes:) do about 1-2 mpg better on average than ATs, for similar outfitting.

I know you said previously you may not have much interest in the MT, but I think it'd be worth thinking a lot about if you're *that* interested in maximizing mileage.

I figured that the manual would be more efficient. If I find one, I'll definitely be looking hard at it.

I don't know if you'd be doing that well on mileage... Im auto, 265s, 2.5" of lift, roof rack, yada yada. I daily drive mine pretty much 50/50 city/highway doing about 70 on the highway and I get between 13.5-14.4 consistently, getting about 270-290 miles per tank.

See now that is kind of funny to me. I keep hearing reports of better mileage. I also drive like an old maid hahaha :D Even if I only get 14 or less in town, I'll be happy if I can get over 14-15 on the highway. I don't expect mileage to be stellar, but from the people I've asked and the looking around I've done, I don't think 16-17 on the highway is super unrealistic. But we shall see.

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
Well if you driving mostly highway your mileage will be better than mine. On long trips that are mainly highway I'll get between 16-17 mpg. But real world mileage for me is what I posted before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well if you driving mostly highway your mileage will be better than mine. On long trips that are mainly highway I'll get between 16-17 mpg. But real world mileage for me is what I posted before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah, yeah I guess I need to clarify. I can live with the crappy mileage day to day. It's on the highway that I'm concerned about. During long trips I want to be able to go for longer stretches without needing to worry about stopping for gas. That is what annoys me the most about my current truck.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
UPDATE!

Selling the current truck ASAP and keeping a lookout for gen 2s in my price range. They are sort of hard to come by out here.

richard310

pew pew
Ah, yeah I guess I need to clarify. I can live with the crappy mileage day to day. It's on the highway that I'm concerned about. During long trips I want to be able to go for longer stretches without needing to worry about stopping for gas. That is what annoys me the most about my current truck.

I was really taken aback when you stated your highway mileage. Even with all the junk I have on the X, I'd average 17-18mpg on the highway with the 265/75's. About 14-15city. But I hear you on the multiple fill ups on short trips. I still hate filling up so many times for fear of running out of gas when utilizing real-world circumstances with this truck. And why the tiny *** gas tank Nissan? Give me at least a 25gal tank. With an average of 260/tank on 50/50 driving, these stats blow. ANYWAYS...

Good luck on your hunt for the elusive 2nd gen out in your parts.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was really taken aback when you stated your highway mileage. Even with all the junk I have on the X, I'd average 17-18mpg on the highway with the 265/75's. About 14-15city. But I hear you on the multiple fill ups on short trips. I still hate filling up so many times for fear of running out of gas when utilizing real-world circumstances with this truck. And why the tiny *** gas tank Nissan? Give me at least a 25gal tank. With an average of 260/tank on 50/50 driving, these stats blow. ANYWAYS...

Good luck on your hunt for the elusive 2nd gen out in your parts.

I don't know why the truck hates me so much, but it's really unhappy. The range is absolutely miserable.

My Disco II had a 25 gallon tank. I got absolute garbage fuel mileage (13-14 whether I was driving straight up a cliff or running 85 down the highway), but I could always get 300 miles out of a tank. That's what really annoys me about this truck. Just can't pull it off. Based on anecdotal evidence, I can get what I'm looking to get with a second gen.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
So, here's a look at what I explore in when I'm not using my Frontier. I recently went on a trip to NW Montana and grabbed some shots of my fiance's 2009 Forester. After driving it around for five days, I've found out just how great of an exploration vehicle it is. Plenty of ground clearance, great range, reliable, comfortable. Won't tackle things as extreme as I'd like, but I can't think of a vehicle more ideally suited to FS road running. It even tackled a pretty good amount of melting snow without getting stuck.

Overall, a great "expo-lite" rig. Not quite capable enough for what I do, but still a very nice exploring vehicle.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Update on the truck search!

It's too bad I don't have friends in WA. I found a wonderful example of a crew cab Nismo in central WA. Black, 265/75R16 General Grabbers, with all the options. Interior looks good, outside looks good. 112k miles on it, and the price is right. I have a trip planned for this weekend, but if I come back and it's still available I'm giving serious thought to going to get it over the next weekend. Anybody know anyone in central Washington, specifically the Union Gap area, that would look at a truck for me? :D

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=59044&endYear=2015&modelCode1=FRONTI&showcaseOwnerId=595610&startYear=2005&makeCode1=NISSAN&searchRadius=500&maxPrice=15000&mmt=%5BNISSAN%5BFRONTI%5BFRONTI%257CNISMO%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=371634909&Log=0

Allof75

Pathfinder
Love Subarus :sombrero: They're really surprisingly capable, it's good to see one being used that way, seems like an excellent FS road runner, especially if it's an XT ;)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Love Subarus :sombrero: They're really surprisingly capable, it's good to see one being used that way, seems like an excellent FS road runner, especially if it's an XT ;)

Unfortunately, it's not the XT. But it is a ton of fun. I can definitely see why people use them as expo rigs. We ran into some deep snow up in the higher elevations and it handled it like a champ. Just gotta remember to turn the TC off. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1