Another Tacoma Build (Brian's 2015 DCLB)

Expedition

You have probably seen this article with Tom and Hellwig, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/hellwig-products-launches-toyota-tacoma-spring-pack

I am going to call them today and see what weight they are building the shocks for FWC for. I also need to take my truck to the dump today to see what the weight is without the camper. I hope to put it on this weekend and then I can measure it all again. I think you are dead on with the springs, I need to figure out which rear shocks to go with them. Going to look into the Icon's later this week. My rig is pretty similar to yours, so I really appreciate your input and thank you for putting together this thread. I went with the new Bilstein 6112 struts and coils on the front with my ARB bumper and winch. I love them without the camper, but I will see how they work with the camper. The coil springs are a little lighter than yours at 500 lbs, but they are adjustable which I am really enjoying.

Question for you - you mentioned above that with airbags the truck gets to bouncing. I have the ride rite air bags on now. Do you think I should take them off if I go with a new set of rear springs/shocks or leave them on for leveling?

Thanks again for the updates and your input. This is a great build thread and I am still wishing I could find a supercharger!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have seen that article but I don't think Tom still uses that setup. I actually emailed him last night, we'll see if he comes back with anything.

If you like the air bags, leave them on. They are great for most stuff, definitely on the road. Like I said I'm picky, trying to achieve a certain ride (especially off road), and use more of the available shock travel. I still wouldn't be opposed to trying air bags with heavy duty springs myself, but it's a bit of money wasted if I decide that I don't like it. My F150 used Firestone bags to carry a camper, worked great for the most part. But off road it was just not very smooth or flexible. They could only compress a few inches and the pressure, I'm sure, increased greatly when hitting a big bump which can make it bumpy.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...

Finally pulled the springs off this morning and took them to Oregon auto spring. We'll see what they come up with.

Maybe now I'll install those super sweet looking rubber shock boots...

Adventurous

Explorer

Finally pulled the springs off this morning and took them to Oregon auto spring. We'll see what they come up with.

Maybe now I'll install those super sweet looking rubber shock boots...

Do it! I went for a few weeks without shock boots on mine and the mag chloride they spray the roads with here discolored the chrome shafts of my rear Icons.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Do it! I went for a few weeks without shock boots on mine and the mag chloride they spray the roads with here discolored the chrome shafts of my rear Icons.

Good to know. They use mag chloride here too. They overuse it for the weather we have, too many damn Californians moved in, so the roads are covered if it's 40 degrees lately. It is still waaaaay better than salt but still... It is a super sticky mess. I need to clean the coilovers really well and put the neoprene covers on them too.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The frustration continues. I dropped of my springs, and didn't talk to the spring designer. My desires were "relayed" to him, and I had a hard time getting in touch with him on the phone. I finally did this morning, and the message was messed up. After more discussion, he told me that he is backed up with a bunch of orders from Deaver. He told me he would build a Deaver style spring pack using 1 or 2 of my original OME leafs. I told him to just make a brand new pack and I would take the OME springs back with me. Unfortunately since his big orders are taking priority now, he won't have them until the end of next week when I'll be in Louisiana working. Ugh

Looks like the truck will remain on jack stands in the garage for another 2.5 weeks. Part of the reason for hanging onto the truck and camper right now is due to my wife being due shortly. She is leaving work now on disability due to issues, as the doc says she shouldn't be working and doesn't see her making it full term. The last kid was 6 weeks early (which we are just passing today with this kid). We spent weeks living in the NICU and wanted to have the camper in case this happens again, so we can stay a little more comfortable at the hospital. HOPEFULLY everything works out, my wife can keep it together while I'm at work, and I can come home for my 6 weeks off before baby comes.

I really hoped to have everything back together, but oh well. I've slept in the camper the last few nights in the garage (remember sick pregnant wife and sick baby), and I really hate to get rid of it. Everything is a trade off, and I always struggle to find a balance.

I tried to be productive today but my efforts were mostly hampered. I recently removed the small 1/4" spacer from the super bump stops up front, and removed the front mud flaps. The front tires were occasionally starting to rub on the mud flap if I turned at just the right angle while turning into a steep driveway or something. Today I washed the rear icon shocks and installed the old man looking rubber shock boots.

If the truck was mobile I would pull it out and clean the coilovers to install the neoprene covers. But I'm not really interested in re-installing the factory leaf springs just to wash the truck and roll it back in the garage.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I finally got around to re-mounting the backup camera. A few spacers, a couple M6 bolts, etc., and I found a suitable spot just above the bumper and a little to the left of the hole where the camera cable came out and went into the tailgate. I used the OME clip to make it look a touch more "factory". The excess cable is zip tied to the brake cable lines to keep it up and out of the way.

This is a sample of the field of view I get (a little more when there's no wall of snow ;) ).

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I finally got around to re-mounting the backup camera. A few spacers, a couple M6 bolts, etc., and I found a suitable spot just above the bumper and a little to the left of the hole where the camera cable came out and went into the tailgate. I used the OME clip to make it look a touch more "factory". The excess cable is zip tied to the brake cable lines to keep it up and out of the way.

This is a sample of the field of view I get (a little more when there's no wall of snow ;) ).

Looks good! I've been meaning to message you about van stuff by the way. I know you've been swapping rigs a lot too and you've done the van thing already.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Sounds like things are changing for you. I had a 2006 Sportsmobile with the 6.0 diesel engine set up in the "50" design (the layout was just like the VW Westy). Anything you want to know just ask...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sounds like things are changing for you. I had a 2006 Sportsmobile with the 6.0 diesel engine set up in the "50" design (the layout was just like the VW Westy). Anything you want to know just ask...

And.....what did you think?

CuStOm

Adventurer
Brian - If you do decide to sell the truck/camper, let me know. I am local in Beaverton. I wish you and your family the best.
Cheers,
Keith

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Brian - If you do decide to sell the truck/camper, let me know. I am local in Beaverton. I wish you and your family the best.
Cheers,
Keith

Hey Keith,

After talking with the wife over the last couple weeks, we decided that we will be selling shortly. I won't be back in town until Wednesday, when I'll pick up the new leaf springs and start putting everything back together. It will probably be Friday (the 12th) before I get everything back together and hopefully wash the truck, load the camper, test drive etc. Feel free to PM me or email me at choppedair (at) gmail (dot) com if you want to talk about it.

I do have two brand new Renogy 100 watt rigid solar panels waiting at home as well. The flexible 100 watt panels have been recalled, and I wouldn't feel right selling the camper with a recalled product installed. Since they are heavier than the flexible panels, I didn't want to mount more than two on the roof. Based on previous performance I feel that 200 watts in more than enough. I plan to mount them using the Yakima tracks.

Watt maker

I've been following this thread since the beginning, such an awesome build. How much are you thinking of selling the truck for? Will it be a package deal with the camper? You can pm me if you would rather not say on here. I would be tempted to take a flight up there to check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1