Burying gray water?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Remember when we used to recycle, made us all self righteous and feel good and pointed fingers at people that didn't follow in lock step and then, it was found out all of the recycling went to the landfill.. me too..more mandated bs.
Appears to me, a lot of smoke and mirror from the poityheads.
Ask a rancher or farmer what they do with their refuse, hint hint, it doesn't go to a landfill.

Last edited:

Alloy

Well shoot, sorry for contributing to that, then!

It better happen sooner than later. Yesterday I visted and area that I've camped for 15 years. I should have taken pictures of sites that are piled full of junk, RVs, old cars. The sites are filled until there is no room to move and abandoned.

ReluctantTraveler

It better happen sooner than later. Yesterday I visted and area that I've camped for 15 years. I should have taken pictures of sites that are piled full of junk, RVs, old cars. The sites are filled until there is no room to move and abandoned.

That's awful. ?

I grew up on Captain Planet. I know better than that!

ReluctantTraveler

We are 8 billion on earth from 3+ billion in 1970. There is no way to sustain things as we've known.

There have been predictions like this for decades, and typically, science improves enough to keep things going (improvements in crop technology allow us to feed a growing human population with less land than we would have previously, for example).

I fear that we lack the willpower to address the new set of problems resulting from our growing population, though.

sourdoughben

This forum is lucky to have folks that have researched in depth enough to refute the linked 60 Minute story. I for one hope their unpublised work come's to light.

ReluctantTraveler

This forum is lucky to have folks that have researched in depth enough to refute the linked 60 Minute story. I for one hope their unpublised work come's to light.

oh no, I’m not refuting it! Our current situation terrifies me!

I’m just also hopeful that science will yet again prevail.

remember when they discovered an ozone hole and we did stuff to fix it and it started closing up? I sadly don’t see that same political willpower today.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I kinda get it, but when I think of gray water, I think about all the cattle, the deer, the buffalo, the rabbits, the cats and dogs, the wolves, the foxes, the turtles, even the freaking birds that crap in the woods.

Why is it human crap is so toxic and the rest of the living species on earth that crap aren't so toxic?

Gray water isn't even crap, it can just be water than ran over my beer mug to wash it out! How freaking toxic is that compared to rain water full of carbon or whatever else is in the air?

It's pretty much authorities finding something to regulate to charge you with some crime to fine **************** and make you get in line with the capitalistic toilet businesses that reign over you.

Now, being responsible, I'd take that environmentally responsible soap junk, no, I don't want to harm the environment, but seriously, water? Think about it, you can't destroy water, might take longer to filter out bad stuff, but water evaporates, nature cleans it, it falls back to earth as rain.

It's ridiculous to go there, it's clearly a function of regulation and economic penalties for mankind alone, if you do this we will fine you and make you a bad dude in society. Forget them, i'm dumping gray water on the freaking ground where it belongs to filter out and add to the water table. BTW, I don't use bleach!

Its not just you. If it was just you no big deal. The problem is you have designated sites with people in them constantly. The whole site becomes a bio hazard with everyone dumping grey water.

28 yrs ago I borrowed an old tent trailer from a coworker. Didn’t even know it had a sink till we setup. Never used it. But a ranger started harassing me about grey water under my trailer. I was totally confused and told him I had no idea what he was talking about that we cooked outside and had a 5gallon jug on the table for water. He walks over and pointed at a drain hose sticking 2 inches out of the bottom of the trailer. I looked at it looked at him and said thats under my bed I haven’t a clue what that is. I opened the trailer and showed him this sink thing which turned out had a bottle type thing under it to catch drain water, it was bone dry LOL.

He looked at me and said oh hmm ok no worries and left.

After that I noticed he wrote 15 tickets to other campers. It was a fix it ticket zero cost first offense. I looked into it later. I worked in a water testing lab at the time which was pretty weird timing.

Contaminated earth from Grey Water dumping does cause issues with water run off in water shed areas. If a busy camp area has everyone dumping grey water it becomes a big issue.

Burying it doesn’t address the problem. Lots of human waste is also a huge problem. The giant super bus Chinese NP tours that basically pack people on and run days non stop, pull off and everyone takes a crap behind the bus has become a huge issue also.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Same septic system issue on a lake near where I grew up in CA. It actually became a super fund site due to this. In the late 80’s the state went after the lake side property owners and it got cleaned up. Its still not great but they have big bass tournaments now and I won the trans Lake race in 2006 sailing solo in about a 40 boat fleet. I wouldn’t swim in it today or eat any fish from it. But it no longer looks like a cesspool like it did in the 80’s when I few over it while out flying the Rutan Veri Eze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design