Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I'm sure you know Go Power offers a complete system that includes an inverter. Just curious why you chose the magnum?
Progress is looking great! Always excited to see latest pics.

Go Power doesn't make an inverter/charger. They even list Magnum when they need all in one. We have a ton of Magnums functioning in some rough environments, with everybody and their dog using (and abusing) them, and have no issues. I prefer everything built into one unit, takes less space, less connections, less maintenance, and you will have a hard time finding a 5 stage charger that cranks out the amperage like the Magnum or the Samlex Evo.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Go Power doesn't make an inverter/charger. They even list Magnum when they need all in one. We have a ton of Magnums functioning in some rough environments, with everybody and their dog using (and abusing) them, and have no issues. I prefer everything built into one unit, takes less space, less connections, less maintenance, and you will have a hard time finding a 5 stage charger that cranks out the amperage like the Magnum or the Samlex Evo.

Good to know, thanks!

S2DM

Adventurer
I haven't had personal experience with 5200, but know a few guys that use it successfully, I really like that you can get it UV stabilized. Every 3M product we use has worked flawlessly so I'd anticipate that from the 5200. $23 a tube is cheaper than redoing a project too!

We've used the 5200 quite a bit as well in the fast cure variety. It is insanely strong, primarily designed to be an above or below the water line adhesive/sealant for the thru the hull fixtures. It's not really considered to be a structural adhesive per se though. For that, we've been using the pro-set 176/276 primarily. Its a toughened epoxy structural adhesive where it really matters, or a west 610 where its not quite so critical, I also use the west more on wood attachments. I'd love to find something that tough thats a little quicker curing though.

The proset is also crazy expensive, $76 for a little more than a caulking tubes worth, and it requires a special gun. But the bond is basically a weld.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
The Quick Set version of 3M - 5200 has been my GoTo sealant / adhesive for years. I've never had a failure with properly prepared surfaces. Bonds anything from fiberglass, to rubber, to steel, to aluminum.

tpwoolley

What do you call the profile type of the sills for your flatbed attachment to truck frame? Is it 4" width? Can't seem to find it on steel suppliers web sites?

Jeep

The sill is an in house designed profile. GM, Ford, and Dodge all have their own profiles designed specifically for that application. It is laser cut and formed from which ever steel thickness is required for the application.

Jeep

The warm stuff

The wood work starts, decided on knotty lodgepole pine, great features, stains really nicely, 1/18th of the cost of the batch of rosewood that I went to the till with first! Cabinet doors and drawer faces are getting cnc router cut so I can get the Southco latch profile cut in properly, all the interior perimeter trim was cut and routered manually. There is quite a bit of wood going in along with my infamous Tommy Bahama canvas fabric, so the interior is going to take a change for the comfortable, yet easy to clean. Just a couple shots of the trim pre stain.

20160119_213826_resized.jpg

I love natural features and defects in wood, some stain, polyurethane top coat and they stand out so nicely.

20160119_213853_resized.jpg

Backside milled to clear and cover extrusions.

20160119_214350_resized.jpg

boll_rig

Adventurer
Love the natural tree artifacts! Should be a beautiful interior. Always enjoy reading the progress keep it up!

Jeep

Thanks guys, I like seeing the wood come together. "tree artifacts", good description, something about wood is the more imperfect the specimen the more perfect it is when it comes to cosmetics. Can't say the same about welding!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
. . . something about wood is the more imperfect the specimen the more perfect it is when it comes to cosmetics. Can't say the same about welding!

Oh so true!

We readily & eagerly accept flaws in/from nature, but demand utter perfection from humans.

I'm looking forward to seeing the perfectly imperfect wood against the [observably] near-perfect shell. It's shaping up to be a spectacular camper!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oh so true!

We readily & eagerly accept flaws in/from nature, but demand utter perfection from humans.

I'm looking forward to seeing the perfectly imperfect wood against the [observably] near-perfect shell. It's shaping up to be a spectacular camper!

WELL SAID, ain't that the truth!!! :rolleyes:
Nature's imperfections are beautiful, but human's imperfections aren't? Gotta let that one sink in deeper as I'm guilty of it too!...........

All in all, the wood + cabin are going to make for one super rad and gorgeous setup!

Jeep

Walnut in a can

Started the messy staining process, went with a dark walnut cuz I like it, thinking about a matt clear though rather than a gloss, I like matt finishes. All the doors are done today so the weekend will be spent watching paint dry.

Wood 1.jpg

Wood 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1