Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Yeah I think the matte clear is going to work out good to soften up the interior with the dark wood. Thanks for the comments, I think I have good taste, sometimes the ability to execute is challenging! I got most of the cabinet doors off of the cnc router today, I screwed up and missed 3 doors, they screwed up and missed 2, we are as perfect at the pine....

The cabinet goes into the main cabinet, where we were going to just hang jackets and bulky stuff, but its big enough to put a 12" x 40" x 23" deep cabinet in for other stuff. Could fit a lot of clothes in there. Sorry for the sucky picture. Tomorrow I will lightly router all the face edges, sand and stain the doors, clear the trim, draw the missing parts and order those up.

20160122_201450_resized.jpg

20160122_201443_resized.jpg

20160122_205033_resized.jpg

A pile of precision holes.

20160122_211939_resized.jpg

CNC Router made a perfect fit for the Southco latch

20160122_211959_resized.jpg

Push to lock latches

20160122_212028_resized.jpg

Jeep

I was going to spray it but we will see, I don't have a booth at home and I hate over spray, don't care for brush marks either!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Take a look at the rub-on MinWax poly.

It took me years to even give it a go, but Im pretty well hooked.

Just be sure you have a never ending supply of rags!

Healeyjet

Explorer
I agree with IdaSHO. Hand rubbed poly is a great way to go. Especially with the limited amount that you will have to do.

I did a whole kitchen and used all hand rubbed poly. You will love the results. A side benefit is that a hand rubbed finish is quite easily repairable in place. Something I just thought of as well. I am not sure how old your kids are but doing the varnish might be a nice way to get them involved.
Ward

Last edited:

Jeep

Thanks for the recommendation, I checked out a few jobs done with that and they look great. It will keep the disaster in the shop down!
I got most of the wood done in 2 coats, the second coat brought out a lot of depth and gave the pine on "old" look. While stuff was drying I got some of the switches and lights installed inside.
20160123_145231_resized.jpg

Drill jig so an easy and accurate switch hole can be cut.

20160123_151449_resized.jpg

Switch installed with laser cut #4 finish switch plates and 10 x 24 stainless button head machine screws, Cole Hersea 25 amp switches, I like the colour match. I've gotten a couple of comments that this kind of stuff was unnecessary to enjoy the outdoors, well.....I enjoy the outdoors immensely, and spend a lot of time out there. But, I spend a lot of the cold winter indoors, and I really like building nice stuff, so I get to enjoy the indoors too! And I get to enjoy it in the stuff I build, with great people.

20160123_154220_resized.jpg

Momentary rocker switch for the bunk, mounted in the upper cabinets, there will be another "arming" switch for the system in the control panel so there is no screwing around! Darn kids, ya know it's gonna happen!

20160123_160958_resized.jpg

LED surface mounts over kitchen counter and cooktop.

20160123_164754_resized.jpg

20160123_164747_resized.jpg

I laid a couple of larger doors against the kitchen cabinet, the contrast is really good, has a really nice feel to it. I was thinking I could have done all the powder coating on the cabinets a different colour to soften up the interior but the combination of bright white, stainless steel, and dark wood really works nice, and I wouldn't change it if I could. I'm really looking forward to getting the flooring and cloth in, will be super functional and clean. AND easy to clean, I can wipe down my cabinets and counters with acetone if I want!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I now have permanently attached a 5gal bucket under my chin because I cannot stop :drool::drool:. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online