Give me the scoop guys...

ExpoScout

Explorer
No, I read it. So, you want one because they are cheap? Thats not a good attitude to go into this with as you will end up having it on the market a few months later.

Well, it's not the only reason. Let's put it like this: I am in the market for something. I already have two IH's and an 85 Nissan pickup. I would like something a little newer, a little more reliable, but with certain qualities. The Disco's have the qualities I am looking for and are well within my price range. Technically it would take the place as my daily driver, however, I have a work vehicle that I drive to and from work. Not only that, but I drive the little pickup for running errands. So it really wouldn't get driven as much as your typical "daily driver" does.

So, why didnt it work out several years ago when these vehicles were that much newer and probably better maintained? Theyre still "cheap" and now youre in for more issues since, more than likely, the previous owner has given up.

I decided to buy a house instead.

What to look for, and Ill say it again, is up to which one you like. Go on Craigslist, find any D1 and D2 in your area and drive them back to back. Then decide which you like more. When/ if youve decided that the D1 isnt refined enough for you, youll go for a D2. When you do, youll be faced with miles and miles of electronics and a more car like interior. It will be more comfortable but it will be more complicated in every way. Once youve decided you want a D2, then come back and ask and you might have more luck with a typical "what year" style question. Im not going to go on a Bronco board and ask whether I should get a 1974 or an 1994. They couldnt be more different. Im going to decide whether I want an OJ-mobile or early Bronco by experiencing them both first and THEN Ill ask what to look for. Im in the middle of looking for a fly fishing pole. Cant buy one until I know what it is I plan on fishing, where I plan on fishing, what style of casting I plan on using, etc... You cant just ask "which rod should I buy?" You have to make some basic decisions first and then go into the search part. Im not being argumentative but thats the way it should work. Same with a D1 or D2.

Do this and if you decide D1, Ill be the first to tell you what I have personally found needs to be looked at by screwing with mine more than just internet lure. If its a D2 you are looking for, there will be owners here who can help you decide based on their personal owner experiences.

This is good advice. I think the biggest issue here, that possibly has led to some confusion, is that I was unaware that the D1s and D2s were so different.

I'm still going to keep my options open, but I am going to get up with some local guys and check out some D1s and D2s and see which one I should really be searching for, or if I want to go another route completely.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Discos are pretty top heavy as well.

As for D1 vs D2, all the D1 guys are trying to install D2 cupholders, even down to the cupholders, D2s are better ;)

-Sam

All you've got are D1 guys adding the cup holders? There are D1 guys and D2 guys. That's fine. Both are good vehicles, but they are different because the target market was changing as you got past the millennium. Along with the P38 Range Rovers, the D2's are an intermediate to the fully computerized high tech Rovers of the last 10 years. I've given my perspective of the advantages of the D1 over the D2 from the off road and mechanical angles, so now let's hear a rundown from the D2 guys on the advantages of a D2 versus a D1? How about it? Maybe we can use this thread as the basis for a sticky, which is needed on this topic.

David

Scott Brady

Founder
I don't have D2 cup holders. . .

I just buy drinks that fit in the factory cup holder tray - usually coffee cups :coffeedrink:

There are two types of car buyers: There are car buyers who are looking for an appliance - something that meets a certain specification. Then there are car buyers who buy cars they love - the way they look, the way the drive, an emotional purchase.

A Land Rover is an emotional purchase. A Land Cruiser is a practical (and very logical) purchase. There is a difference, and to say that either is wrong only shows which of the above categories of car buyer you fall in. . .

Me, I am emotional and practical, so I have lots of trucks and motorcycles. I just pick the right tool for the job, depending on the need or desire of the day.

I love my Land Rover - I respect my Land Cruiser. Make sense? ;)

David Harris

Expedition Leader
A Land Rover is an emotional purchase. A Land Cruiser is a practical (and very logical) purchase. There is a difference, and to say that either is wrong only shows which of the above categories of car buyer you fall in. . .

Yeah. But whenever I've tried to be logical in a car purchase, I get a backlash from my illogical side . . . I guess that explains why the only vehicles I own are Rovers . . . :ylsmoke:

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
Me, I am emotional and practical, so I have lots of trucks and motorcycles. I just pick the right tool for the job, depending on the need or desire of the day.

:hehe::hehe:

Scott,

Would you care to assign a percentage to your “emotional” vs. “practical” automobile purchase tendencies? You own a G-wagon, a Disco 1 and a KTM 950 Adventure. Only recently did you purchase the Land Cruiser. I think I would have to say you lean pretty far to the emotional side the auto purchasing spectrum.

I am not criticizing anything in your fleet but none of your rigs in your driveway are bland, appliance like autos…at least not in North America. :coffeedrink:

Scott Brady

Founder
I have owned a lot of Toyotas. Tacoma, 4Runner, Pick-up, FJ40, FJ60.

The more I travel, the less I am concerned with the practical nature of car buying. I just buy/drive/ride what is interesting to me now. Certainly my choice in vehicles is eclectic. I am a pretty eclectic dude. . .

I have huge respect for the FZJ80, and although I have driven them on many occasions, I wanted the opportunity to own one and take it on a few long trips (like Baja starting this week).

You can't justify a Discovery purely on specifications or function. It is the intangibles that make the difference, like visibility, the thickness and feel of the steering wheel, the balance of the suspension, the ride quality in rough terrain, the thoughtfulness of the interior colors and textures, the fact that it is equally at home on the Rubicon, bouncing down a dusty track in Zambia or driving up to the W hotel in Barcelona - no other manufacturer has been able to achieve that fully (The G-Wagen achieves the same effect, although from a position of obscurity and rarity).

David Harris

Expedition Leader
You can't justify a Discovery purely on specifications or function. It is the intangibles that make the difference, like visibility, the thickness and feel of the steering wheel, the balance of the suspension, the ride quality in rough terrain, the thoughtfulness of the interior colors and textures, the fact that it is equally at home on the Rubicon, bouncing down a dusty track in Zambia or driving up to the W hotel in Barcelona - no other manufacturer has been able to achieve that fully (The G-Wagen achieves the same effect, although from a position of obscurity and rarity).

Well put. :)

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
All you've got are D1 guys adding the cup holders? There are D1 guys and D2 guys. That's fine.

David

Perhaps I should be more blatant and add [sarcasm] every time I post about cupholders. As for the d1 vs d2 argument, if I didn't have a 4runner project coming up in the next few months, I'd have my eyes on an RRC. Not to clutter the thread but if someone was in the market for a d1, I would personally choose an RRC over a D1.

-Sam

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Perhaps I should be more blatant and add [sarcasm] every time I post about cupholders. As for the d1 vs d2 argument, if I didn't have a 4runner project coming up in the next few months, I'd have my eyes on an RRC. Not to clutter the thread but if someone was in the market for a d1, I would personally choose an RRC over a D1.

-Sam

Yes. RRC's are great and there are advantages to the RRC over the Discos, such as the extra rear interior space of the D2, with a better departure angle due to the way the RRC is angled up at the rear. Better center of gravity. Smoother ride and better articulation in stock trim. Iconic styling. (Isn't this one of the only vehicles to get into the Louvre?)

Downsides are increasingly rare in decent condition = greater cost to buy. Some parts less available than the Discos, such as body items.

Last edited:

SeaRubi

Explorer
Did someone say RRC? The great thing about a Land Rover is that it was meant to wear in like a leather boot. Every scratch, dent, and torn stitch narrates a good story, an adventure traveled, a crisis overcome with fortitude, resources, will power, and the friendship of your companions - both those along for the ride as well as those found along the way. Nothing wears body damage and scratched paint like a Land Rover, and no adventures are better heard than in a pub amongst Land Rover owners.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAr-tzSV6mc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAr-tzSV6mc&feature=related[/ame]

I believe that Land Rovers are best used as close to stock as possible. I learned the hard way that the more they are changed the more depressed they become. They await you as a faithful servant and a willing companion, and in return they ask for your patience, your respect, and your commitment. Their small knobby tires, fenders dragging through the terrain and panels built to push back nature are your passport to discovery. Its sleek lines allow the wheels to continue to push forward while squeezing the wilderness back apart from the occupants, the steady hum of its small powerplant darting through deserts is music to your ears, the soft suspension rolling through grasslands your cradle, its sturdy chassis bounding over rocks and ramming waist deep through muddy trails at full song your chapters to a wealthy life.

Forget the parts catalogue, fill the tank, and hit the dirt. That's what "Bleeding Green" means to me.

cheers,
-ike

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Did someone say RRC? The great thing about a Land Rover is that it was meant to wear in like a leather boot. Every scratch, dent, and torn stitch narrates a good story, an adventure traveled, a crisis overcome with fortitude, resources, will power, and the friendship of your companions - both those along for the ride as well as those found along the way. Nothing wears body damage and scratched paint like a Land Rover, and no adventures are better heard than in a pub amongst Land Rover owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAr-tzSV6mc&feature=related

I believe that Land Rovers are best used as close to stock as possible. I learned the hard way that the more they are changed the more depressed they become. They await you as a faithful servant and a willing companion, and in return they ask for your patience, your respect, and your commitment. Their small knobby tires, fenders dragging through the terrain and panels built to push back nature are your passport to discovery. Its sleek lines allow the wheels to continue to push forward while squeezing the wilderness back apart from the occupants, the steady hum of its small powerplant darting through deserts is music to your ears, the soft suspension rolling through grasslands your cradle, its sturdy chassis bounding over rocks and ramming waist deep through muddy trails at full song your chapters to a wealthy life.

Forget the parts catalogue, fill the tank, and hit the dirt. That's what "Bleeding Green" means to me.

cheers,
-ike

Now that's emotion . . . (embedded Camel Trophy video +1)

:26_13_1::26_13_1:

burn_e

Adventurer
Talking about the camels - any source where the modifications on these cars is recorded?

Hijack over! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1