Give me the scoop guys...

Paladin

Banned
I'm exactly the same. Any car I own, I have to modify it to form an emotional attachment to it. If I leave it stock, I don't care about it, I get bored, and I end up getting rid of it. I only came to realize this after I got rid of my last boring DD. Now my latest DD, I put wheels and tint on it. Not much, but I have to tread a fine line because I promised my wife I wouldn't modify this one.

However, I don't name any of my cars, and I don't really believe they think or feel or have emotions, or punish me for neglecting them, etc. That's an antropomorphic fallacy.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I'm exactly the same. Any car I own, I have to modify it to form an emotional attachment to it. If I leave it stock, I don't care about it, I get bored, and I end up getting rid of it. I only came to realize this after I got rid of my last boring DD. Now my latest DD, I put wheels and tint on it. Not much, but I have to tread a fine line because I promised my wife I wouldn't modify this one.

There is a lot of truth to that.

It's partly why the reason why I am leaning towards a 98 or 99 D1 in stock trim. I've never liked buying someone else's work.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Ok, I'm pretty emotional about vehicles too but... it is... just a hunk of steel, plastic, rubber and glass.

I can tear up thinking about the history of the US flag, too. Steeped in disaffected apathy I am not.

Paladin said:
Your truck has a name, doesn't it?

Guilty as charged!

"Sherman" Scout Traveler - 1998-2001 (closest thing to a tank I've ever driven with round wheels)

"Gatsby" RRC SWB - 2000 - 2006 (a flawed gentleman, rough and iconic. murdered tragically by me in 2006)

"Jordan" RRC LWB - 2004 -2006 (beautiful, tragic)

"Rockin' Jeep" LJ Rubicon, daughter's choice - 2006-2008 (not a straight part one below the rocker panels)

"Kerouac" JK Unlimited - 2008-2010. (coast to coast, twice)

undecided D1 - 2010-present.

Whatever the choice, undoubtedly I'll stick with the Beat theme. Attempting to see a new city through their eyes, walking the same streets, sipping coffee with scrounged change in the same North Beach cafes, biking the roads around Berkeley, and spending way too much time in the Haight Ashbury - I can't help but be affected by it, by the literature, by their stories and their search for something missing on the vast plains and corroded alleyways of the nation. I figure naming my truck after one of 'em really isn't that far out there. go "furthur"

cheers,
-ike

SeaRubi

Explorer
There is a lot of truth to that.

It's partly why the reason why I am leaning towards a 98 or 99 D1 in stock trim. I've never liked buying someone else's work.

I would go for the 99 D1 SD over a RRC. It's the better truck in my opinion, mechanically. The RRC does have some advantages, but it's no lie that one indeed needs to be passionate about ownership to derive the same enjoyment as they would from a newer vehicle. I bought my first RRC in 2000 and it was a '91 with about 80k on it. It needed a lot of work after about 2 years. It rolled 100k and with heavy abuse from my right foot, began falling apart. A '99 D1 is right at the same age spread and has probably fared a bit better mechanically with the GEMS engine.

I hope you've been burning up the Search :ylsmoke:

ExpoScout

Explorer
I would go for the 99 D1 SD over a RRC. It's the better truck in my opinion, mechanically. The RRC does have some advantages, but it's no lie that one indeed needs to be passionate about ownership to derive the same enjoyment as they would from a newer vehicle. I bought my first RRC in 2000 and it was a '91 with about 80k on it. It needed a lot of work after about 2 years. It rolled 100k and with heavy abuse from my right foot, began falling apart. A '99 D1 is right at the same age spread and has probably fared a bit better mechanically with the GEMS engine.

I hope you've been burning up the Search :ylsmoke:

Yeah, and I'm definitely leaning towards the D1.

I test drove a 99 today with 125k on the clock. They were asking wayyy too much in my opinion ($6799) for the condition it was in. Interior was decent, exterior was meh, but just about everything was leaking underneath. Not to mention it had 3 previous owners that he knew about...so who knows how it was taken care of.

There are several nice examples of 98 D1s with single owners in the area. Most of them are around 100K miles and seem to be in much better shape that the one I looked at today. Not to mention they are $5k-ish.

So we'll see.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Here's a question I'm dealing with right now...

There are two examples of nice 98 D1's in the area as I mentioned in the previous post. One has 110k and the other has 99k but just had new headgaskets installed. The question is: If I am going to be be looking at a vehicle with about that mileage, would it be better to find one that has already had the HG done? According to what I'm reading, and what has been stated in this thread already, I'm getting the impression that already having a head gasket job is one less thing that I am inevitably going to have to do.

The other thing is that I'm having a hard time finding SDs.

Wander

Expedition Leader
SD's are tough to find as the dealers liked to keep the higher optioned SE and LSE's on the lot. Keep in mind these where luxury cars with an off road pedigree that was lost on 98% of the owners. They are out there if you can wait it out. The two you mentioned are overpriced as your thought. There are a lot of poorly maintained Rovers out there that often pass from owner to owner and just get worse. I think Dale contacted you (?) he is a great resource in finding good prospects-he has the contacts. If you like Sean but the DII isn't going to work out-let him know what you are looking for and he might be able to find it. If you find that maybe a Land Rover isn't for you take a look at an FZJ80 Land Cruiser-it has solid axle's and is a very solid platform. Here in NC the LC's are often pricey which I think you alluded to already. Granted I was looking for a series Land Rover but it took me a year to find the right one and I am VERY glad I waited.

ExpoScout

Explorer
SD's are tough to find as the dealers liked to keep the higher optioned SE and LSE's on the lot. Keep in mind these where luxury cars with an off road pedigree that was lost on 98% of the owners. They are out there if you can wait it out. The two you mentioned are overpriced as your thought. There are a lot of poorly maintained Rovers out there that often pass from owner to owner and just get worse. I think Dale contacted you (?) he is a great resource in finding good prospects-he has the contacts. If you like Sean but the DII isn't going to work out-let him know what you are looking for and he might be able to find it. If you find that maybe a Land Rover isn't for you take a look at an FZJ80 Land Cruiser-it has solid axle's and is a very solid platform. Here in NC the LC's are often pricey which I think you alluded to already. Granted I was looking for a series Land Rover but it took me a year to find the right one and I am VERY glad I waited.

Hmm, I thought this one was reasonable:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/2051908742.html

Of course I'm also assuming I can talk them down at least a little bit. This is the one I was referring to that had the HG done.

Viggen

Just here...

Of course I'm also assuming I can talk them down at least a little bit. This is the one I was referring to that had the HG done.

$5500 is too much. Thats like $4k worth of truck really and it has to be really really clean. Look for rust as it likes to hide in many different places on the D1. Pull carpets and sound deadening just about everywhere.

Wander

Expedition Leader

Yes asking and getting are too different things when selling a car. That one has been detailed well and looks nice in the photo. It looks like it was garage kept as the paint does not look faded on the top surfaces, I don't see a garage in the house behind it so it could be this person picked it up cheap and is flipping it or got it for less and is now scared by the repair costs and is looking to dump it. Getting a full history report will help a lot. Do you know anyone will carfax access? You can pay for reports if not.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Yes asking and getting are too different things when selling a car. That one has been detailed well and looks nice in the photo. It looks like it was garage kept as the paint does not look faded on the top surfaces, I don't see a garage in the house behind it so it could be this person picked it up cheap and is flipping it or got it for less and is now scared by the repair costs and is looking to dump it. Getting a full history report will help a lot. Do you know anyone will carfax access? You can pay for reports if not.

I will definitely be getting a carfax prior to any purchase. I think if nothing else it's worth checking out...same goes for a few others I've found. I'm really not in a rush, so I will carefully weigh my options.

Paladin

Banned
Just remember. Carfax can only tell you a vehicle HAS been in an accident. It cannot tell you it HASN'T been in an accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design