netbooks

haven

Expedition Leader
Windows 7 Release Candidate 1

Microsoft has made the next free test version of Windows 7 available here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

This version of Windows 7 is called Release Candidate 1 (just in case there has to be a Release Candidate 2, I suppose). RC1 will run until March 1 2010, at which time it will start to shut down every two hours to remind you to purchase a copy of the real Windows 7.

The download process took me about half an hour. The last step in the preparations is to create a DVD of the installation files so you can boot your computer using Windows 7. Once the DVD is complete, installation took 20 minutes, and I spent an additional half hour fooling with settings like the desktop background, screen saver, downloading Firefox and so on.

I loaded System 7 RC1 on my MSI Wind NetTop, which is a desktop with typical netbook hardware, plus a large hard disc and DVD drive. The install went flawlessly, so I think RC1 can safely be installed on any netbook that runs a version of Windows. Be sure to back up your important files before installing, just to be safe.

RC1 seems to have better performance than Windows Vista using this (admittedly meager) hardware.

Chip Haven

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
One of my customers pointed these new netbooks out to me. I think they are going to be *perfect* for running Overland Navigator or other navigation software. I'm really excited about them. The things I like about them are:

• Convertible between a laptop and touchscreen tablet.
  • 9-10" Screens
  • Significantly bigger than a GPS but small enough to stay out of the way of vehicle occupants.
  • Simple to mount with the new netbook RAM mount.

Gigabyte M912 convertible in black

attachment.php

Asus T91/T101 - Watch the Demo Video
attachment.php

Attachments

• nb_productimage_m912_big.jpg
    nb_productimage_m912_big.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 362
  • t91netbook.jpg
    t91netbook.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 360

cactusjk

Explorer
Sounds like they start around $600? Not sure of when they will be available?

One of my customers pointed these new netbooks out to me. I think they are going to be *perfect* for running Overland Navigator or other navigation software. I'm really excited about them. The things I like about them are:

• Convertible between a laptop and touchscreen tablet.
  • 9-10" Screens
  • Significantly bigger than a GPS but small enough to stay out of the way of vehicle occupants.
  • Simple to mount with the new netbook RAM mount.

Gigabyte M912 convertible in black

attachment.php

Asus T91/T101 - Watch the Demo Video
attachment.php

soonenough

Explorer
Now that is slick. Anyone know anything about pricing & release date? I did a google search and clicked through the first page of hits but couldn't find much.

I'm sure it will be like what others have been saying - it will be pricey when it comes out, but give it 6 months to a year, and they'll drop significantly.

EDIT: sorry for the ~double-post; didn't see cactusjk's post til after I submitted mine.

chuck45

Observer
Sounds like the T91 might be starting to come out in June at around $500.

I recently bought Craigs Overland Navigator software and just loaded it on my 15" HP laptop. I'm still waiting on delivery of the SIRF III antena/reciever and plan one taking it on its maiden trip next weekend.

I considered getting one of the 10" netbooks but just don't want to deal with a keyboard in the vehicle. I looked at the 12" HP converible Tx2z, which was 825 at Best Buy, but decided it was a little too big and heavy. I'll muddle thru with the HP until the Gigabyte or Asus 9 or 10" convertibles become available. They look ideal to me. If they can keep the price in the 500-700 range I'll buy one ASAP. I've figured out a couple of ways to mount them in the Jeep JK where they won't be in the way but will be useable. It appears that they are available in Europe and are getting good reviews. A question that hasn't been addressed is how the screens will do in sunlight in a vehicle.

haven

Expedition Leader
The convertible touchscreen machines are intriguing. At this point, it looks like the price for a convertible touchscreen netbook is about 50% more than a comparable netbook without the touchscreen.

The Gigabyte M912V and M912X use typical netbook hardware (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz processor, Intel 945GSE Express Chipset, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB disc), and add the high resolution 1280x768 touchscreen on a swivel mount. The M912M substitutes a standard resolution 1024x600 swiveling touchscreen.

The Gigabyte M912 is available today from Dynamism, a company that imports the M912 directly from Taiwan, where Gigabyte has its manufacturing facilities. Prices start at $700.
http://www.dynamism.com/gigabyte_m912.shtml

Gigabyte also offers a 10 inch 1024x600 LCD-backlit swiveling touchscreen on a netbook called the T1028. The T1028 has a built-in antenna for a 3G cell phone modem, and an easily accessible slot for a SIM card. It will be available in USA shortly. There's a review here
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/04/test-gigabyte-touchnote-t1028m-10”-touchscreen-netbook

The Asus T91 and T101H were demonstrated at CES in January. Here's a video introduction to the two machines
http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-asus-convertible-eee-pc-t91-and-t101h

Chip Haven

chuck45

Observer
The convertible touchscreen machines are intriguing. At this point, it looks like the price for a convertible touchscreen netbook is about 50% more than a comparable netbook without the touchscreen.

The Gigabyte M912V and M912X use typical netbook hardware (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz processor, Intel 945GSE Express Chipset, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB disc), and add the high resolution 1280x768 touchscreen on a swivel mount. The M912M substitutes a standard resolution 1024x600 swiveling touchscreen.

The Gigabyte M912 is available today from Dynamism, a company that imports the M912 directly from Taiwan, where Gigabyte has its manufacturing facilities. Prices start at $700.
http://www.dynamism.com/gigabyte_m912.shtml

Gigabyte also offers a 10 inch 1024x600 LCD-backlit swiveling touchscreen on a netbook called the T1028. The T1028 has a built-in antenna for a 3G cell phone modem, and an easily accessible slot for a SIM card. It will be available in USA shortly. There's a review here
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/04/test-gigabyte-touchnote-t1028m-10”-touchscreen-netbook

The Asus T91 and T101H were demonstrated at CES in January. Here's a video introduction to the two machines
http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-asus-convertible-eee-pc-t91-and-t101h

Chip Haven

Do you have any thoughts on the different screens offered by Gigabyte? It may be that the 9" could be the better of the two given it's higher resolution. I have no experence with an LED backlit screen. For our use would that be an advantage? I did read somewhere that the 10" Gigabyte would be cheaper than the 9" due to the screens.

Asus has developed a good reputation with it's netbooks and if it carries forward into the new convertibles we cold have four winners on our hands.

Having played with the HP 12" convertible and thinking it was too big the 9" and 10" convertibles may be the sweet spot for our use. If they can get the price to about 500.00 it would be great. I'd gladly pay the additional 200-300 over a netbook for a touchscreen and folding/stowable keyboard. Though I do like having the keyboard available for emailing and such.

haven

Expedition Leader
I have never seen the Gigabyte models, so I can't comment directly. The screens in netbooks are all made by a couple of Chinese manufacturers, so there's little to distinguish one from another. The biggest issue for me is how shiny/reflective the screen is. When you're using the display in bright light or outdoors, a shiny screen drives me crazy. YMMV.

LCD screens need a light source behind the screen when used in low light. Until recently, the light source was a couple of fluorescent tubes. Fluorescent tubes work OK, but have some problems with illuminating the screen evenly.

Newer screens use a larger number of white LEDs. The LEDs illuminate the screen more evenly, use less power than the fluorescent tubes, and are more durable. So LEDs are the way to go.

Chip Haven

cactusjk

Explorer
Has anyone swapped out a Asus 1000 screen with a touch screen? I really like the 1000 HE and am probably going that route even with the T91 on the horizon.

eugene

Explorer
search on the eeepc forums,there are several touchscreen mods and kits available for all the different asus models

haven

Expedition Leader
The Fit-PC2 is a "net top" computer, that is, netbook hardware without a keyboard or screen. You connect a keyboard and mouse by USB, and a display by VGA cable. (I have an MSI Wind net top that works fine as a home computer for email and Internet browsing.)

The feature that distinguishes the Fit-PC2 is its amazing small size. The size and low power requirement make the Fit-PC2 a great choice if you'd like to embed the computer into the dash of your truck.

The Fit-PC2 measures 4" x 4.5" x 1.05" and weighs 13 ounces including a 2.5 inch hard drive. Even with this small form factor, the Fit-PC2 has 6 USB ports and a DVI port for video. The computer case is aluminum, which acts as a heat sink. There are no vent holes in the case to let dust in. The Fit-PC2 is powered by 12V DC.

Check out the Fit-PC2 here http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1