OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

LaBlaze

Yep, happened to us. They used a section of tubing JUST a tad too short and with the smallest amount of water pressure filling it, it let loose. We just upgraded the clamp to a better one and jammed it back together and tightened it up REALLY tight. Hasn't come off since.

And while you're in there make sure those city water plastic connections are good and tight also. Ask me how I know this.
Which clamp did you use?

RE: Truma gas heater not shutting off in cold weather.

My wife and I took our D13 out for its second camping trip. We went to Roosevelt lake northwest of the PHX area. When we went to bed we set the Truma temp around 65 to start. After a little while we both started to roast and we noticed that the heater hadn’t shut off. After trying a bunch of different temp settings with no success I finally gave in. We shut off the Truma and used a spare electric heater for heat. When I got home I located the Truma temperature sensor and found out it was right by the front door of the camper. What I noticed is that when the Truma heater was running it was pulling in cold air through the “Aussie vent” at the bottom of the door hence the sensor was never getting the correct air temp In the camper to shut off the Truma heater. The sensor was always staying cold while the bed area was way too hot. Why didn’t they put this sensor somewhere near the bed area ? So, LONG sigh, I’m going to try and play around with trying to stop the cold air coming in the door vent and setting the “offset” temperature setting on the Truma to see if I can get around this issue without having to relocate the temperature sensor.

LaBlaze

My wife and I took our D13 out for its second camping trip. We went to Roosevelt lake northwest of the PHX area. When we went to bed we set the Truma temp around 65 to start. After a little while we both started to roast and we noticed that the heater hadn’t shut off. After trying a bunch of different temp settings with no success I finally gave in. We shut off the Truma and used a spare electric heater for heat. When I got home I located the Truma temperature sensor and found out it was right by the front door of the camper. What I noticed is that when the Truma heater was running it was pulling in cold air through the “Aussie vent” at the bottom of the door hence the sensor was never getting the correct air temp In the camper to shut off the Truma heater. The sensor was always staying cold while the bed area was way too hot. Why didn’t they put this sensor somewhere near the bed area ? So, LONG sigh, I’m going to try and play around with trying to stop the cold air coming in the door vent and setting the “offset” temperature setting on the Truma to see if I can get around this issue without having to relocate the temperature sensor.
We covered our door vent with duct tape. I'd love to know how you offset the temp setting on the truma. We ran into the same problem even with the door vent covered (granted I left a little sliver uncovered). Another issue may be because the front cabinets are freezing if you open up the cabinets when it's cold outside you'll feel all the cold air coming in. Could be because there's the vent for the fridge in that area and it's not insulated. We're going to put relfectix behind the drawers and cabinet to see if that helps.

LaBlaze

Hey there!
New Dweller 15 owner here (almost).
Should be getting my trailer over the weekend. It is one of the ones that had the plastic left on the windows so they're totally caked with the residue from that. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing it, other than just fingernails and elbow grease? 😂
Thanks in advance!
I don't have a suggestion for the windows but when you do your walk through make sure they drench the top of the camper with water to see if there's leaks. We didn't do that and ended up with a leak somewhere that drains into our skylight. When we did our walk through the rv people were like the seals are fine on the roof even tho I was like err they don't look fine. I should've had them spray it to test it all out.
Happy camping and congrats!!

CowboyKyle

This is great information. Can you post pictures of the Truma sensor for the rest of us? I probably need to relocate mine also.

Dweller Feller

Hello All,

Been lurking a bit & im really interested in the dweller 15

Only problem is I'm going to need to keep it in the garage & my garage is only 19'-8" deep

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on modify the tongue to either hinge or be removeable in order to clear?

I'm already planning to completely demo the spare tire jig & rear bumper, but I think I need to clear around 18" more up front to make it

Many tia
Just keep in mind. You will virtually have no support from obi directly or the dealership if something goes wrong. Ordering parts from Obi directly is virtually non existent. They rarely answer their phone. This site by far has the best advice, ideas and information ! We love our Dweller, just the supporting cast after the sale has been really, really bad. They will tell you, how great the trailer is b4 the purchase, then if something goes wrong, it will just be excuses. I give the dealerships a little bit of grace though, because the training Obi, provided to the dealerships across country was really poor. Probably because Obi, themselves had very limited knowledge of what they where developing in the first place. Once Roa, sells their final Dwellers, they will be finished with Obi too. Roa, was their flagship dealership with the most knowledge with all their videos. Remember the old saying " when the rats start jumping ship". That being said, we still love our Dweller. I guess we should not expect much if the main ( spoiled kid ) Vincent running the show at Obi, is in his mid 20's.

Dweller Feller

I don't have a suggestion for the windows but when you do your walk through make sure they drench the top of the camper with water to see if there's leaks. We didn't do that and ended up with a leak somewhere that drains into our skylight. When we did our walk through the rv people were like the seals are fine on the roof even tho I was like err they don't look fine. I should've had them spray it to test it all out.
Happy camping and congrats!!
Agreed, I have had both skylights leak. The rear one has been into the dealership 3 times for leak repairs. they finally noticed a small hairline crack in the skylight. Hopefully that resolved the issue.

We covered our door vent with duct tape. I'd love to know how you offset the temp setting on the truma. We ran into the same problem even with the door vent covered (granted I left a little sliver uncovered). Another issue may be because the front cabinets are freezing if you open up the cabinets when it's cold outside you'll feel all the cold air coming in. Could be because there's the vent for the fridge in that area and it's not insulated. We're going to put relfectix behind the drawers and cabinet to see if that helps.
I’m thinking of sealing the exterior vent off with some black masking tape and then stuffing some loose fill insulation from the inside into the vent. The tape should keep out the dust and the fill provide some insulation.

Also, within the battery compartment, on the side with two batteries, I found an unsealed hole in the floor. if you’re looking directly down on the batteries the hole was to the left of the two batteries. Cold air was also coming into the battery compartment through this hole and going into the camper. I used some spray foam to fill the hole. (See pic below).

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
This is great information. Can you post pictures of the Truma sensor for the rest of us? I probably need to relocate mine also.
Cowboy Kyle ! Thank You for all of your Dweller videos ! I subscribe to your YouTube channel so keep up the good work. 😊

Below are pictures of the temperature sensor and its location on my D13 camper.

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
RE: Truma Offset feature

I‘ve had a tough time finding any information on how this setting works. When I bring up the setting on my Truma controller I noticed that the parameter range is only from zero to -10 degrees and not the full range I’ve seen in the Truma literature that says a range of -10 to +10. I’m guessing that the range is zero to -10 on our setup bcs we only have the heater and not the heater AND AC. My “guess” for using this offset is that you can use the offset to set a lower trigger temperature at the sensor. So setting the offset to a negative number at the sensor would allow you to compensate for the higher temperature at Truma controller and bed area. This “in theory“ should let you maintain a decent temperature at the bed and Truma controller area.

So IF you don’t have cold air messing with the sensor near the door you “might” be able to adjust this setting to get a decent temperature at the bed and Truma controller area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp