The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Unfortunately, the only thing Toyota about this is the emblem on the grill. Look at it this is a remade Ford bronco. They’re even running the Ford four-cylinder turbo engine. And its starting price of $55,000. This doesn’t even come close to comparing to even a basic Jeep. Toyota has screwed up again. They’re going out to the high tUnfortunately, the only thing Toyota about this is the emblem on the grill. Look at it this is a remade Ford bronco. They’re even running the Ford four-cylinder turbo engine. And it’s starting price of $55,000. This doesn’t even come close to comparing to even a basic Jeep. Toyota has screwed up again. They’re going out to the high dollar client again. And after the initial excitement in January, this’ll four-way of all the Toyotas and just become another vehicle for the soccer moms to drive around town, and impress people with. Toyota has totally screwed up again with their new Toyota bronco cruiser
I own a built 100 series and I think they nailed it on the new design, I have no current need for it but would be a buyer if I did.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You need to go look at the used LC market if you think that....but that was kind of my point, consumers spend big $ on big mile LC's, the word is out....I won't do it, but the legacy is there.
I sold my mint J80 into that market. Its “value” still didn’t cover the cost of rebuilding the front axle seals, doing old vehicle maintenance on it etc. That value is all just hype and fan boy driven. Its no different than the COVID pricing surge on you name it junk. Again people who buy these due to their perception that it will magically be cheaper to own are the same people who play the credit card balance game.

T-Willy

I own a built 100 series and I think they nailed it on the new design, I have no current need for it but would be a buyer if I did.

Yeah, I agree.

In fact, I expect that the 250 will eventually replace one of our 80s. It's a modern 80, or as close to it as we'll ever see. I lament the loss of a rigid front axle, but the electrified powertrain, with 27 mpg, more range per gallon, and a big battery for things like a fridge, is fantastic for remote travel. Losing four or five inches of floor for the battery isn't a big deal; I never pack to the ceiling and have room to spare. Finally, it's a far better value than buying a low-mile 200 that less suits my uses for what would be far more money.

nickw

Adventurer
The correct title of this thread should be "The Prado is coming to the US"
I negative as some here think I've been....we don't know that yet. I'm awaiting judgement until we see the specs and some of the LC guys gets their hands on one and start to dissect it, it may very well be built to a higher durability standard than the current Prado/GX line we currently get.

nickw

Adventurer
I sold my mint J80 into that market. Its “value” still didn’t cover the cost of rebuilding the front axle seals, doing old vehicle maintenance on it etc. That value is all just hype and fan boy driven. Its no different than the COVID pricing surge on you name it junk. Again people who buy these due to their perception that it will magically be cheaper to own are the same people who play the credit card balance game.
Hype and fan boy driven - there is a reason, that reason is it's a "Landcruiser" and has a reputation, which was my point all along. High end rigs are generally expensive to maintain, it's always been that way, especially ones that you can rebuild parts on vs replace parts on. Rebuild birfs on a cruiser is a right of passage for most :)

blacklbzbeauty

I negative as some here think I've been....we don't know that yet. I'm awaiting judgement until we see the specs and some of the LC guys gets their hands on one and start to dissect it, it may very well be built to a higher durability standard than the current Prado/GX line we currently get.
According to Graeme Bell's article posted today on EP, the new 250 is "wearing the Prado brand globally".
But man, that 70 series........maybe it is just human nature to lust after something you cannot have in the US.

nickw

Adventurer
According to Graeme Bell's article posted today on EP, the new 250 is "wearing the Prado brand globally".
But man, that 70 series........maybe it is just human nature to lust after something you cannot have in the US.
Toyota can play with names all they want I think proof is in the pudding, lets see how they are built.

I've always dreamt of a 70 pickup, my dream rig. Looks like the base model has a 4 cyl diesel + auto now which I am sure with ruffle some feathers. Last time I was in Aus you know what those guys dreamt of....Ford Raptors, they were like $150k there, grass is always greener.

hayde89

Why not just get a clean low mile 2022?

Something else I thought about from an enthusiast perspective is a more subvert position from Toyota....all the new rigs are (apparently) based on a common platform, why not make the attachment points the same so GX/LC250 folks can upgrade to the HD stuff when the time comes? Allow fitment of HD parts or sell them aftermarket, sim to what Ford did with the Bronco.....D60 and D44 front diff drop in replacements from Dana. You keep the enthusiasts engaged and promote an extensive OEM aftermarket much in the same way the older rigs can be updated to FF axles, H55 trans, modern split cases, etc.

You could buy a GX/LC250 and when the time comes buy a 9.5" rear diff for drop in replacement....that would be cool.
You won't need to do that... The 250 already comes with a 9.5 rear diff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh